Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Aug 27th, I'm subbing

I have this period off so I'm writing for a few.

That girl I was having problems with- that was a friend of T's.... we ended that for the most part. He finally wrote with her on FB and they are on an ok note. I never talked to her again. It's easier for me to not have friends like that. I need friends who can respect my believes- even if they totally disagree with them.

On that note, I was going to write a bit about me and Catholicism. I've gotten a lot more conservative in my expectations within the church. I bet that has a lot to do with the church I go to now- it's fairly conservative, especially the priest. A lot of women in the choir wear the veil (which I love!) But on conservative thoughts--- For example, went I went to a church in Biloxi, 5pm mass, the Eucharistic ministers were wearing jeans! I understand that the 5pm is usually a college/youth mass, but I feel that if you are involved, such as an EM, you need to be dressed nice. It's the body and blood! You are touching it! You need to be clean, dressed nice, and in a holy mindset! T's mom actually gave me a hard time about being bothered by that. I also don't get it when people are in short skirts, tank tops, low neck shirts, etc.... It's gotta be a distraction to guys- it is to me- a married female! I mean, come on! Dress appropriate to the occasion!!


I also really like the veils. Several women in my church wear them and I love it! It's so pretty. I know it's more historical church (pre-Vatican II) I asked Fr. about it and he said "In the early church wearing a veil gave a woman an authority she would not have normally been accorded. In terms of society at that time, this was a big deal and a step forward. Wearing a veil today can refer to one's chastity or virginity and thus is appropriate for those who have made the vow of chastity or live chaste lives in marriage (fidelity). But many women find it demeaning. I'm not sure why completely." So yeah- I always thought it had to do with "purity" but chastity makes more sense. Chastity is such an important and new thought- especially as married- but it's something I'm studying on some and I find interesting. Chastity within marriage- hadn't known there was such thing.

Anyways, I'm rambling so I'll log and write later!

No comments:

Post a Comment